Custom Search

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Save Money With Generics

I joked yesterday about all the embarrassment I felt when my parents hauled out generic items in front of guests. I would complain endlessly about it and ask why we couldn't have "the real thing".

When I moved out of my parent's house and made my own money, I vowed then and there to never buy a generic or "store brand" item again. I paid more (sometimes much more), because I thought the brand name product would have to be better.

When I got home and used the product, well, lo and behold, many times I saw no difference. Canned and frozen vegetables, cereal, napkins, and broth, are just a few items that I believe are similar in taste and use to their brand name counterparts.

Sometimes, I even prefer the store brand. Have you ever tried Kroger's apple cinnamon pancake mix? It's delicious! I've tried several brands of pancake mix, and in my opinion, none can compare to Kroger's.

On the other hand, there are items that I will not forsake for a few extra pennies. I once bought a case of the store brand equivalent of Lipton green tea, and I couldn't even make it through an entire bottle. It was disgusting. So what happened? I ended up throwing it all out. So, I basically threw money away, and that just makes me sad.

If your normal brand gets more expensive, then try out a store brand, and see if you can tell the difference. If you proclaim it horrible, then you may be able to take it back to the store for a refund. (I should have tried that.) If not, chalk it up to an experiment and move on.

Also, keep in mind that when you use coupons and/or items are on sale, the store brand could actually be more expensive than the name brand. Always remember to compare prices.

No comments:

You lie Pictures, Images and Photos