Custom Search

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Paying My Debt

I owe my son money, and he won't let me forget it.

Last week, my husband was working late, so I decided to order a little Chinese food. The delivery guy was on his way when I discovered I was short $1.

My son received some money recently from several family members for Valentine's Day. He keeps that stack with him, so he can count it frequently. He loves to count his money, hold it, smell it, carry it around, and even talk about it.

So anyway, I asked him if I could borrow $1.

Him: "Why?"

Me: "The delivery man is on his way, and I need a little extra cash."

Him: "You don't have it?"

Me: (sigh) "No."

Him: "You'll pay me back?"

Me: (sigh) "Yes."

Him: "Now why do you need it again?"

Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

Me: "The guy will be here any minute. Can I have it... please?!"

He stood there for several seconds, and you could actually hear his brain turning. He was weighing his options! In the end (literally the guy was walking up our sidewalk!), he reluctantly decided to help.

It has been exactly one week, and he's asked for that $1 every day. He's told my husband about "the incident" and wanted to know why I didn't have the money to pay. (Actually...good question...)

He lamented to my parents about it several times -"I used to have 25 dollars, but now I have 24.... Mommy still owes me that dollar."

I truly believe he's even told some of his friends.

Honestly, if he were running this country, I don't think we'd have much of a debt at all. He'd be on everyone's back until it was paid off.

Finally, I went to the bank today and took out some money. I can't wait to pay him back! (I hope he doesn't charge me interest.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the funniest thing I have read all week! Thank you so much for the laugh - I'm giggling out loud here! :-)

You lie Pictures, Images and Photos