Custom Search

Friday, September 11, 2009

True Beauty

Thank goodness, I don't have to go anywhere today.

Lately, it's just been a chore to get out of this house. I've gained a few pounds, so trying to find something to wear (that doesn't include sweatpants or shorts) that doesn't cut off my circulation is a huge burden. I mean I don't think I'm large enough that the Discovery Channel will be wanting to do a documentary on me, but I'm headed into a bad area.

You know that area -where you are forced to buy new clothes because the old ones are too small. ...(sigh)... I hate that area. There's nothing worse than opening your closet and seeing clothes that no longer fit around all your fat. Yet, you hang onto them in hopes -HOPES -that one day, on a whim, you'll pull them off the hanger and -tada -they'll magically be a perfect fit. (Even better, though, if those clothes become too big. Being forced to buy new clothes because the old ones are too big is a euphoric experience.)

It's not just gaining a few pounds, though. I just feel "blah". Doesn't everyone go through that?

I'm hoping that getting my hair cut tomorrow is going to somehow transform me from frumpy to goddess. (Or just not-so-frumpy. I'll settle for any step in the right direction.)

It's on days like this, that I think about this girl that attended college with me -"C". (I obviously can't use her real name.)

Outwardly, "C" was quite an unattractive girl. She had frizzy hair, very crooked teeth, a scrawny body, and her skin was a deep day-glo orange from some sort of cheap self-tanner. But this girl possessed the most likeable personality that I've ever seen. She always had a smile on her face and something sweet to say to everyone. It was almost like she radiated positive energy everywhere she went. It was amazing just to watch her shine.

One of the first times I saw her, a boy leaned over to me and said, "Wow -that is one ugly girl." (Nice, huh? It's not as if teenage boys are known for their tact.)

About a month later, he joined her entourage as well.

She had such a charming way about her that, after time, you no longer saw anything but "beauty". She was the perfect example of "pretty is as pretty does".

Recently, I ran across her picture on Facebook. At first glance, I saw the out-of-control hair, crooked teeth, and skin still obviously being slathered with a poorly made self-tanner.

But it didn't take long for me to see what truly mattered- the kindness in her eyes and the smile on her face. Looking at her brought back the memories of a girl that had a real and true beauty.

Even more pronouced was the man with a huge smile on his face sitting next to her. I have no doubt that he feels very lucky to have her in his life.

Seeing "C" reminds me that real beauty exudes from your heart not from the mirror.

And I need quite a bit of reminding on days like this.

No comments:

You lie Pictures, Images and Photos