Custom Search

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Irish Bread Saves The Day

My day has not been going so well.

The little meeting at school was one thing, but it was just the beginning.

My daughter broke the door to the dishwasher. She pulled something off, and now it won't shut anymore. It probably can be fixed. I don't know how, but I'm hoping.

I took a two minute trip to the bathroom and made the mistake of not making sure my daughter was with me. When I came out, I immediately walked into the kitchen and saw her standing on top of the kitchen table. She had dumped a small cup of water all over herself, the mail, and a few cheetos we had left on the table. (sigh) I took her down, took her clothes off, and attempted to clean the mess. Before I even began, I could hear her running upstairs. I forgot to put up the gate. So, the mess had to wait.

When I was trying to help my son get ready for baseball, my daughter started playing in the potty... again. So, off to her room for clothes change number three. (This is why I'm constantly doing laundry.)

Anyway, with all that going on, I decided to make my day a little better by trying a new recipe - Irish Bread. (I know St. Patrick's Day was last week... but I didn't get a chance to try it then.)

I don't normally bake, but the recipe looked easy and sounded great. I'm glad I tried, because it is delicious!

Make it, and see if it doesn't make your day a little better, too. :-)

Irish Bread
(Courtesy of Crystal at Bead Happily Ever After)

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter/shortening
2/3 cup raisins, brown or golden or mixed
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 cup milk or buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender or fingertips, work the shortening into the flour until the consistency is the same as that of small peas. Stir in the raisins and caraway seeds and mix to distribute evenly. Gradually stir in the milk, 1/4 cup at a time, using only enough to allow the dough to come together. Knead the dough for 1 to 2 minutes. Shape the dough into a round loaf and place in a greased baking pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor Darling!!!!

I've been there - had some days like that!!!

May I offer one little word of advice to cheer you on such days.

The lady who taught me to make the Irish bread - my sweet grandmother - swore by the idea that a hot cup of tea could be the solution for ANYTHING! If you were sad - it would cheer you, if you felt nervous - it would calm you, if you were brimming with excitement about good news, well - it was just the thing to have while you sat down and gave all of the details to a friend or family member.

You definitely needed a quiet moment with a nice hot cup of tea at the end of THAT day!

I'm so delighted that you liked the Irish bread! Don't feel bad about eating it quickly! I never met anyone who could resist "just another little piece". Of course that can easily turn into another and another! lol

Thanks so much for letting me know you liked it!

You lie Pictures, Images and Photos