Custom Search

Friday, January 30, 2009

Cleaning Up

Two days ago, my husband called home to let me know he was leaving work. He was explaining the tough day he had, and how he couldn't wait to get out of there.

I don't remember how I said it exactly, but I was explaining to him that I was sorry that I wasn't able to get to some things around the house, because there had been so many errands to run this week.

His response? "I'm so tired, that even the way the house looks won't bother me today."

I'm thinking...today? Won't bother him today?

So, I ask -"Does it usually bother you?"

Silence.

Him: "Um...well...it has been looking a little bad lately."

Silence.

Me: "Ok. I need to go."

Now, I'm calling from the car, because I'm running errands. There isn't a lot I can do about it between that point and when he gets home. And what does he mean --it's been looking bad?

Here's my philosophy about it --if you see something about the house that bothers you, then fix it. If there's dust on a table, and you can't take it any longer, than get off the chair, grab some Pledge, and wipe it off. If a room needs vacuumed -hey -you know where it is. Don't like that pile of clean clothes sitting on the chair, then, by all means, help yourself to a closet.

See --I have two children to keep happy, fed, clean, entertained and ...alive..., so picking up toys every five minutes, so the house looks neat usually takes a backseat to those other more pressing priorities.

I do clean the house, by the way. I clean it every week --usually on Tuesday. But, this Tuesday, I was busy paying a man to torture me (gynecologist), plus running around town getting things done, so the house was not cleaned.

I cleaned the house thoroughly yesterday, and he didn't notice. If he did notice, he didn't say anything. Nothing like some real motivation to make me want to keep the place spic-n-span.

I'm not going to lie to you. I don't like to clean. I don't whistle while I work. I complain, and I grumble. Afterwards, I enjoy the smell of Lysol and Scrubbing Bubbles for about 10 minutes, until the children get home. Then, I'm busy cleaning the "little" messes like pee on the potty seat, or smashed up m&m's rubbed into the carpet.

Honestly, I'm wondering, what would my husband think if he came home, and I truly had not been cleaning all day?

I don't think he could handle it.

No comments:

You lie Pictures, Images and Photos